Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Another week bites the dust.

Another week down and November is upon us. Last week’s class was another “low key” one but still interesting as always as we got to see the other animations completed as well as some cool screenings.

I thought the animations were cool. The Adventures of Noodleman reminded me of a claymation video game, Frogger meets Clayfighter kinda. The music was cool, nice selection of Rage Against The Garden’s (or Audioslave as their known by most) only decent song. The colors looked a lot better after some post-production. I remember it looking darker when first shown to the class but the colors looked crisp in the final product.

The fishtank animation (I forget the name) was cool as well. I thought the sound added a lot to it, especially when we were inside the tank and the “radio” noise was cut out completely. Narratively, I think it could’ve been editing more storylike, but it did have a Tarantino-type order to it. I really enjoyed the “room” setup with the Larry Bird baseball card being used as a poster, very creative.

As far as last week’s class screenings, I really enjoyed One Nation Under Tommy. When I was a kid, I always liked playing telephone in class because the outcome would always be nothing like the original saying. Of course, I was the prankster that always blatantly changed words around to ensure that it was never the same as the beginning. I’d never thought of how to translate that game into film though but ONUT was a great example of doing exactly that. I felt like maybe the first couple filmmakers/writers ruined the whole thing but that really made it all better and funnier in the end. The variations of the national anthem were great and somehow it made its way into all of them, I’m pretty sure. I think my favorite interpretation was the last one that was put together basically of some rough sketches to say the least. If I would’ve originally known I was remaking a Tommy Hilfigur commercial (which none of them did), I would’ve easily just drawn some crude drawings and say ‘To Hell with this!” Maybe in a film class, a project like this would be fun to do throughout the semester.

With this newly assigned rhythmic editing project on our hands, I’m excited about it. I’m really hoping to incorporate some type of self-made music or at least a beat so the editing rhythm will definitely be seen and heard. I haven’t discussed too much with my partner about what aspect of our lives we want to film of each other but I have some ideas for myself. As for tomorrow, I’m ready to see some works in-progress of the rayograms and am hoping for some cool stuff.

Happy Halloween.

No comments: