Sunday, December 9, 2007

rhythm + editing

Going into the rhythmic edit, I didn’t really know what to expect. After viewing some of last year’s projects, I had a better idea but still had no idea what to film and how I was going to edit it all. Luckily, Colin is quite the skateboarder and mentioned that he wanted me to film him skating at various locations around town. What/where to film was not a problem anymore. We were able to meet up twice and get enough footage to edit and not be bored with using the same shots.
Editing this monstrosity was a completely different experience. I had never really broke clips down frame by frame, but, believe me, I got my share with this project. Using the footage I’d filmed along with some Super8 Colin already had, I broke down basically all the good movement shots into bins of 5, 10, and 15 frames(this was the most tedious part of the assignment). From there, I looked at the frame shots and tried to get some sort of pattern out of them. I ended up going with an old-to-new theme and used the Super8 shots first then the newer footage kinda creeped in. When the cycles started rolling, I realized that I should maybe repeat every cycle twice so people could soak in the images a little better without getting too bored. Once I had about a 30 sec. sequence, I realized that the shots got old with the repeats, so I applied some filters and speed effects to select shots, just to change it up.
When the sequence was finalized, I started thinking soundwise. I had made a song that had a mellow, skate-video feel to it and tried it out. With the fast editing pace though, it did not work so I tried another one that was more repetitive and masked the edits a little.
All in all, this was one of my favorite projects and I’m completely satisfied with the final product and hope Colin is too. Skate on, bro.

No comments: