Sunday, December 9, 2007

49 hour race

Who knew 48ish hours could fly by so fast? Overall, my favorite project, the 49-hr film race proved to be the most fun and spawned some really cool videos. Going into this project last Monday, I was very anxious to find out what the mystery prop would be. I knew it would’ve had to be small and cheap because all of us were receiving one(or three in the end) but I also was thinking that it could’ve been a line of dialogue.
Before the race officially began, I was pretty set on using my digital still cam on video mode because I knew that it took pretty good quality when it was stabilized by tripod. I started thinking of ideas that could be good to use and came across some old PSAs on youtube. That’s when I decided that I wanted to go with an anti-drug PSA angle, but I also knew that the mystery prop could ruin all of that.
Then came 4pm last Monday, the big unveiling day, where I was surprised (and pleased) to see the alphabet blocks and not a line of dialogue. After that, I went home and wrote up a short script and shot list of what I needed to shoot. I was trying to think of cheesy, cliché PSA shots and dialogue, but figured I’d just improvise while shooting anyways.
Tuesday came along and I called around to see who might want to be a shady blockdealer in an alley. Jamie was available and pretty much in costume and character went we met up. We found the first shady alley and 40 minutes of improve later, I had the footage. Knowing I could make some trippy effects by plugging my camera into the TV and recording, I fooled around some and got some colorful shots to use for the block trip. The other shots were made by shining a laser pointer into an upside-down “caution wet floor” cone.
Editing was pretty simple. I already had the sound effects planned out and on a disc and I just inserted them with the videos. The hardest part of the edit was learning how to freeze frame and make titles appear separately. Other than that, it was pretty simple yet fun and I plan on making some more shorts using only a still cam on video mode.
Here’s the final product if you need a recap.


No comments: