Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thoughts on last week's class

Thursday, I had a lot of fun with the in-class developing and learning more about processing film without taking it to a One Hour Photo place. The funnest part for me was taking completely random objects (a laser pointer, my HS graduation tassel, several spare iPod docks, etc.) from every nook and cranny of my apartment and placing them onto unprocessed film to see how it all came out. It was hard to tell if the laser pointer really had much of an effect since it was red, but after a few filmstrips, I saw a certain effect. It seemed to lighten the film strip a bit on the areas we really concentrated it on. The craziest effect we were able to produce was the yellow areas from where we put lip balm onto the film. It seemed to make the film untouchable and came out in very off white tones (also had a minty smell to it).
In class, we also got to view the film manipulation that Colin and I did. I was impressed with how it looked projected, although it seemed a lot shorter when viewing it. I think our animation turned out pretty sweet and I liked how the different manipulations we did turned out. While working with some of the found footage stock, I tried my best to figure out what exactly it was that I was manipulating. It looked like plasma or some sort of blood cells. It wasn't until it was projected on screen that I realized it was a pumping heart and muscle (so I was close). It looked really crazy with the blue ink that I had drawn in. I just kinda wish I would've known it was a heart but that's really the beauty of film manipulation: not knowing what you're going to get. Before I sound to much more like Forrest Gump, I think I'll call it a blog. Until next time.

No comments: