Monday, August 27, 2007

First Class Thoughts

Very rarely does one get to experience a lot on the first day of a class other than a syllabus overview. However, this was one of few classes I've had where we jumped into the learning fun on day one (I'm a poet and I don't realize it). Having never dealt with film other than disposable cameras, I was really surprised to actually get my hands on actually film... and then get to scratch, color, and alter it Brakhage-style. My film had what looked like a still picture of a landscape, complete with a few bare trees and a hay barrel. What I didn't realize at the time was that the picture was slowly moving as if the camera was a car traveling down a country road. I also didn't realize how many frames you have to scratch to see a visible change for only a few seconds. After scratching out the same tree for a good 20 frames or so, I thought for sure, there'd be no tree left; however, I was proved wrong when I was able to view it via projection and the tree was only gone for maybe 2 seconds at most. Still a great learning process though that made me appreciate the work of Stan Brakhage even more than I already did. I think if he used some of the improv music like the Scratch Film Junkies, it'd add another level to his work, but its still pretty inspiring to me regardless.

No comments: